The Crimson Fairy Book by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1903)
The Violet Fairy Book by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1901)
The Pink Fairy Book by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1897)
The Two Frogs
- It's amusing to think that both the frogs wanted the exact same thing at the same time. The two journeys are mirrors of each other, and when they decide to look at each others town, they are just the same as their own.
- Making two parallel worlds with two of the same people who happen to meat each other could be a fun idea for a story.
The Stonecutter
Two Frogs - Pixabay
- I have heard many different version of this tale. I had no idea it originated in Japan.
- If I were to rewrite this story, I would use a theme of somebody being unhappy with their current state and always looking for more things to make them happy, but I don't think I would rewrite this story with a spirit. Although that does make a good story, it was been done many times and I would like to explore a way to retell this story in a unique way.
- I enjoyed this story because it is unlike any I have heard before.
- Cultural aspects of Japan are clearly present in this story. The girl always listens to her parents and is dutiful to them, respecting their wishes even after they die.
- This story was also very new to me. I feel like a lot of the Japanese stories have morals them them. In this case, the couple gets help from their dog, but people who are envious and just wish to use the dog for his gold get nothing.
- I really like this story. The man shows such dedication and care to the sparrow. The man has a good heart, but a greedy mean wife.
- This is kind of an interesting tale, with cats as main characters and their owners as other side characters.
No comments:
Post a Comment